Whitepaper: A real-time asset monitoring system for rolling stock, track and electrification infrastructure
European rail networks have historically led the way in providing reliable, fast and carbon-efficient passenger transport. By connecting people to businesses as well as providing direct employment and clean commuting options, railroads are key to developing long-term sustainable economic growth…
Over the past ten-year period, EU rail networks have seen a 10% growth in passenger traffic (17.2% in EU-15*), but there have not been comparable increases in track or unit numbers. Evidence suggests that rises in population, mobility and urbanisation will continue to generate demand for faster, seamless and more frequent runs. Especially in areas where rail networks are already near capacity, holistic asset management is becoming more and more important to maintain network reliability and safety. Even small failures can delay not only one train, but an entire network. Leading networks are recognising that harnessing asset data is central to understanding operational trade-offs when balancing capacity, cost and risk.
The purpose of this document is to outline the benefits of implementing OSIsoft technologies to construct a data infrastructure that has the scale and connectivity to provide continuous, real-time visibility that spans electrification, signalling, track and rolling stock assets. Embedding a scalable, end-to-end data platform removes information silos to create deep, integrated situational awareness and promote collaborative working environments.
The rest of this whitepaper is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Could data be the rail sector’s most valuable asset?
- The PI System for Railways
- Case study: Data drives maintenance for SNCF RÉSEAU
- Whitepaper: A real-time asset monitoring system for rolling stock, track and electrification infrastructure
- Whitepaper: Condition-based maintenance reduces maintenance costs and increases availability in transportation assets