Q&A with Abdou Ait-Ali, VTI: Improving railway capacity allocation
Posted: 27 April 2023 | Global Railway Review | No comments yet
In this video interview, Abdou Ait-Ali, Researcher at VTI, spoke to Global Railway Review about the importance of capacity allocation and how technological advancements, such as AI and data analytics, can help make improvements.
At the UIC’s High-Speed Congress in March 2023, Global Railway Review interviewed Abderrahman (Abdou) Ait-Ali, Researcher at the Swedish Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI), to understand more about what capacity allocation is and why it is important in deregulated railways.
In this video interview, Abdou discusses the main challenges associated with capacity allocation, the importance of moving forward with AI and data analytics to deliver improved capacity allocation, and how cost-benefit analyses can help to improve railway operations.
Abdou holds an engineering diploma (in Computer Science and Applied Mathematics) from INP Grenoble Institute of Technology as well as a master’s degree (in Computer Science and Engineering) from KTH Royal Institute of Technology. In November 2020, he got a PhD (in Infra-Informatics) from Linköping University. Abdou is currently sharing his time between Linköping University and the VTI. The focus of his research is mainly on transport economics, cost-benefit analysis, operations research, and mathematical optimisation. His works with applications to different transport and railway problems such as capacity allocation, demand estimation, scheduling, maintenance planning, and traffic information. Besides research, Abdou is also interested in linguistics, photography, and history and is contributing to different open-source projects such as Wikipedia.
Watch the video interview above or on the Global Railway Review YouTube channel link now.
Have you watched the other exclusive video interviews recorded by Global Railway Review with high-speed rail experts and champions? View them on the WATCH NOW links below!
- Lucie Anderton, Head of Sustainbility, UIC – WATCH NOW!
- Ángel García de la Bandera, Deputy Director of South Stations, Adif – WATCH NOW!
- Antonio Tresco, Head of Customer Service & Direct Sales High-Speed Trains, Trenitalia – WATCH NOW!
- Andrea Giuricin, Transport Economist, University of Milan Bicocca – WATCH NOW!
- Navneet Kaushik, Director Systems & Operations, NCRTC – WATCH NOW!
- Paige Mallot, Chair & Co-Founder, Cascadia Rail – WATCH NOW!
- Ian Rainey, Senior Vice-President, The Northeast Maglev – WATCH NOW!
- Inara Watson, Lecturer, London South Bank University – WATCH NOW!
High-Speed Rail, Infrastructure Developments, Operational Performance, Regulation & Legislation, Sustainability/Decarbonisation