Q&A with Inara Watson, LSBU: High-speed rail and sustainability
Posted: 2 May 2023 | Global Railway Review | No comments yet
In this video interview, Dr. Inara Watson, Lecturer at London South Bank University, spoke to Global Railway Review about how high-speed rail operation can contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
At the UIC’s High-Speed Congress in March 2023, Global Railway Review interviewed Dr. Inara Watson, Lecturer at London South Bank University (LSBU) to understand more about how high-speed rail networks can contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and promoting sustainable transportation.
In the video, Inara speaks about the benefits of high-speed rail compared to other modes of transportation, the ways in which the industry can significantly reduce the energy consumption of high-speed rail, and how high-speed rail networks can be integrated with other modes of transportation to create a sustainable and efficient mobility network.
Inara is was born in Latvia and graduated with a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Riga Technical University. She has a PhD from the London South Bank University (LSBU). Her research interests are focused mainly on transport, railway engineering and sustainability. Inara has several publications in various journals and presented papers at conferences throughout Europe and Asia. So far, Inara has published two books – ‘Investigation of the Silk Road Economic Belt Initiative’ and ‘Investigation into Decarbonisation of Railroads’. Inara is a member of the PWI, ICE, and the OR, DMDU societies.
Watch the video interview above or on the Global Railway Review YouTube channel link now.
Have you watched our other exclusive video interviews recorded by Global Railway Review at the UIC’s High-Speed Congress? Take a look at these on the WATCH NOW links below:
- Ian Rainey, Senior Vice-President, The Northeast Maglev – WATCH NOW!
- Ángel García de la Bandera, Deputy Director of South Stations, Adif – WATCH NOW!
- Antonio Tresco, Head of Customer Service & Direct Sales High-Speed Trains, Trenitalia – WATCH NOW!
- Andrea Giuricin, Transport Economist, University of Milan Bicocca – WATCH NOW!
- Navneet Kaushik, Director Systems & Operations, NCRTC – WATCH NOW!
- Paige Mallot, Founder, Train Explainer – WATCH NOW!
- Lucie Anderton, Head of Sustainbility, UIC – WATCH NOW!
- Abdou Ait-Ali, Researcher at VTI – WATCH NOW!
- Stefano Marcoccio, ERTMS Project Manager at RFI – WATCH NOW!
High-Speed Rail, Infrastructure Developments, Passenger Experience/Satisfaction, Sustainability/Decarbonisation