Understanding assets for effective decision making
Rennie Chadwick, Transport Sector Team Lead at Cohesive, explains how the company helps infrastructure managers and rolling stock operators understand more about their assets and how digital techniques can play a big part in effective decision making.
What does the digital transformation of rail mean to you?
The digital transformation of rail can look different, depending on your perspective. Most of our work is with owner/operators of rail infrastructure and rolling stock, therefore we see digital transformation as a means to helping them achieve their outcomes. These outcomes can be collected into three broad groups:
For example, how do I deliver more capacity on my network at a lower unit cost? Or, how do I maintain my fleet in a more efficient way, moving from reactive or planned maintenance to a predictive approach?
2. Customer service
This could include ‘how do I provide my passengers with the information they need to plan their journeys?’ Or ‘how do I understand the impact of my maintenance activities on the ride quality for passengers?’
These outcomes cover a broad spectrum, including how do I transition to a net zero business model in line with national government and passenger expectations?
In all cases, the digital transformation puts better quality data into the hands of decision makers, enabling them to make better quality decisions, more quickly, whether they are in the boardroom or on the track.
In what ways do you help clients to better understand their assets?
Understanding your assets is key to effective decision making when operating and maintaining a railway. You need to know the answers to the following questions:
- What assets do I have?
- Where are they?
What condition is the asset in and how does this affect the system or network that the asset is part of?
- How is the condition of my asset changing with time?
- Is my asset performing as I would expect and need?
The answers to all these questions will inform decision making on the need for action and the options available. Our expertise lies in providing answers to these questions, using digital techniques to connect the data collection with decision makers Our experience helps us add value to the data through effective processes and predictive analytics.
What are the key benefits of a full asset lifecycle partnership?
Working collaboratively in a full asset lifecycle partnership with our clients delivers three key benefits:
1. Working together, continuously, over an extended time period builds a relationship of trust. We can become an extended capability for our client, a trusted advisor, and a critical friend
2. Our extensive experience, working with other asset intensive owner/operators around the globe, enables us to bring fresh perspective and innovation from other sectors
3. A relentless focus on continuous improvement. Our people are motivated by continually finding ways to deliver ‘better’ for our clients, whatever shape that takes.
Paid promotion supported by Cohesive.