Case Study: 30 years of vibration protection for the Philharmonic Hall Gasteig, Munich
The cultural centre “Am Gasteig” in Munich is situated next to the central tunnel of the Munich rapid transit railway system: the centre is also home to the philharmonic hall and the city library.
The railway line – a standard ballasted track with timber sleepers – is subjected to a load of around 150,000 metric tons a day and ranks as one of the busiest rapid transit railway lines in Germany. When the cultural centre was built in 1983, the planners had to ensure that the background noise level in the concert hall did not exceed the specified limit of 25 decibels when a train is passing so that the concert hall could also be used for recording.
To protect the noise-sensitive cultural centre from structure-borne noise emissions, the under ballast mats from Getzner were installed over a distance of 345 metres. Since 1983, they have been subjected to an extreme operating load of around 1,300 million tons and a variety of environmental influences in the track. In 2013, it was discovered just how effective they are in the long-term: the under ballast mats have reduced vibrations on this key route for over 30 years – and in turn the maintenance work and costs.
The rest of this case study is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Insulated rail joints: Improving performance at high maintenance track sections
- Case Study: 30 years of vibration protection for the Philharmonic Hall Gasteig, Munich
- Measuring the vibration-isolating effect of an elastic railway superstructure in Poland
- Track Systems & Infrastructure In-Depth Focus 2017
- High-Speed Rail In-Depth Focus 2017