High speed rail in the UK – HS2 and the independent review, delivery practicalities, and policy priorities in the new Parliament
Date: 10 March 2020
Email: [email protected]
With the new parliament beginning its work, it will be an opportunity for stakeholders and policymakers to consider:
- The implications of the independent review of the High Speed 2 project following its expected publication;
- The findings of the HS2 Chairman’s Stocktake – which reviewed the scope, timing, and cost efficiency of the project; and
- Next steps for Phase 2b (Crewe to Manchester and West Midlands to Leeds) and integrating high speed rail with Northern Powerhouse Rail.
- Key issues arising from the independent review of High Speed 2;
- Next steps for HS2 – route design, community engagement, and enabling additional capacity in the network;
- Incorporating the views of passengers from the design stage through to operation;
- Addressing the practicalities of delivering high speed rail – engineering, environmental impact, and supply chain resource management;
- The outlook for Phase 2b – integration into the wider transport network, supporting economic growth, and delivering cost-efficient sustainable infrastructure:
- Integrating High Speed Rail with Northern Powerhouse Rail;
- Supporting and sustaining regional growth; and
- Ensuring value for money in the delivery of HS2.
- The future direction of High Speed Rail in the UK.