Whitepaper: The Rail Control System – the Swiss way of optimising traffic management
Posted: 30 April 2017 | | 1 comment
With one of the busiest rail networks in the world and a continuing expansion of railway services, Switzerland’s rail network (SBB) must tackle the challenges associated with increasing rail traffic
To do this, SBB has developed the mobility concept of the future: the Rail Control System (RCS), which improves punctuality on all routes, optimises the existing infrastructure and boosts capacity of the rail network and the frequency of services.
The RCS is a new generation of system components for innovative rail control and thanks to this digitisation, the capacity of the Swiss track network – already the most heavily used rail network in the world – can be increased by up to 30%.
The railway technology of the future enables the railway system to be used in a more efficient way. From 2025, there will be: more trains in use; denser timetables; fewer disruptions; improved radio connection; and more precise customer information in the event of a disruption The future system will therefore be even more intelligent and capable of self-learning.
This whitepaper is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full, you will need to log in. It is completely free to subscribe and, in less than a minute, you can continue reading. If you have already subscribed, just log in.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- Bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- Case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- Breaking news and features
- Our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Opportunities for decarbonising rail track maintenance activities
- “People consider a train station to be more than just the start or end of a rail journey”
- How FRMCS offers improved operational velocity by leveraging 5G
- SBB orders 60 InterRegio double-deck trains from Stadler
- SBB reflects on the impact of the pandemic on its business during 2020